The Secret Ingredient: Our Heritage, Stone Ground, Whole Grain Cornmeal
From seed selection to growing to harvest and grinding, this has been a pet project on the Ranch. We excitedly selected heirloom seeds (which means non-genetically modified) with an eye to the type of corn grown by Native Americans.
We also wanted a variety in order to get a feel for what works best on our land. The result is an incredibly colorful, flavorful batch of corn that we painstakingly hand ground. Hand grinding means that our corn never becomes heated in the process, thereby retaining all of its flavor and nutrients. And we grind the whole kernel so you get that whole grain nutritional benefit.
Our cornmeal is packed with fiber, protein, and lots of phytonutrients. But best of all is the taste. This year we have a small batch and we know we will sell out quickly, so be sure to get your order in.
Heritage Stone Ground Cornbread
As a special treat, we’ve developed our favorite cornbread recipe for this small-batch Heritage, Stone Ground, Whole Grain Cornmeal. Try it out and let us know what you think! Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup flour (can be gluten-free)
- 1 cup Hidden Canyon Ranch Heritage Cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk (can be dairy-free or buttermilk for a cake-like cornbread)
- ¼ cup oil of choice (or melted butter, cooled. I used melted coconut oil and the mild coconut flavor really complemented the corn flavor of the bread)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Position rack in center of oven. Grease a square 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and oil. Add dry mixture to wet mixture, and stir just till blended.
- Pour batter into the square pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Hidden Canyon Ranch Sage Honey makes a perfect drizzle topping.